The FW-5-GATE is the compact communication specialist in our portfolio: It has been designed for especially communication-intensive applications involving telecontrol, substation control and automation. In order to offer even more communication options in a small space, integrated inputs/outputs have been omitted. Like the FW-5, the FW-5-GATE can of course also be extended individually with extension boards. It offers cost-effective solutions for intelligent secondary distribution networks and smart metering via further interfaces, for integration of SML/SyM² meters, for instance. A temperature sensor integrated in the remote terminal unit measures the station temperature.
The FW-5-GATE for top-hat rail mounting is equipped with further interfaces for coupling external components to form intelligent networks. From the network to the Smart Grid – this communication genius can master all that. As with all the devices of the series5 series of products, the connection to the control centre can be made by numerous communication routes and protocols directly or with telecontrol interfaces – backed up with redundant systems if required.
Local meter integration is made via the second LAN connection with SML protocol or via the additional serial interface with IEC 62056-21 protocol. S0 meter pulse detection can also be used in the CL variant.
Typical application areas of the FW-5-GATE
- Intelligent secondary unit substation with integration of earth fault/short circuit indicators, network analysis systems and protective devices
- Smart meter integration in energy management systems and remote meter reading control centres
- Intelligent measurement point for wide range regulation in distribution networks
- Field device in transformer substations with protection device coupling
- Monitoring of media and infrastructure systems in pipelines
Use of the FW-5-GATE as a transparent protocol converte
From Version 5.3.7 or 5.4 for CL variants of our innovative and user-friendly configuration software setIT, the FW-5-GATE can also be operated in protocol converter mode. The unit enables conversion of the following protocols here:
- IEC -101 to IEC -104
- IEC -101 to IEC -104 (VPN encrypted)
- IEC -104 to IEC -104 (VPN encrypted)
- IEC -104 to IEC -101
There is no need to create process data or set specific information for the transmitted signals here. As a protocol converter, the FW-5-GATE handles declaration of the connected stations as well as their addressing and converts the protocols in both directions. The connection can also be made at several control centres in parallel.
The FW-5-GATE as a connection-ready complete solution
If required, the FW-5-GATE can also be purchased as a ready-to-use complete solution. Depending on specifications and function requirements, we will then assemble individually designed, ready-to-work small systems, which offer a tailor-made solution for the special requirement. In addition to the telecontrol unit, these systems generally also include all the other necessary components, for instance an uninterruptible power supply, communication modules, relays, transfer terminals and many more. The components are usually installed in Eaton or Rittal housings.
You can find more information on the technical specifications of the FW-5-GATE in the data sheet of the model.
Capacity and Functions
The basic system can be expanded according to individual requirements and has impressive dielectric strength:
- 2 Ethernet LAN TCP/IP connections
- 2 RS-485 field interfaces
- CL/S0 meter interface in FW-5-GATE-cl
- RS-232/V.24 interface
- Temperature sensor, -20° to 100° C
- Integrated 24 V DC power supply
- Optional wide range supply (20 to 72 V DC) with redundant feed and galvanic isolation via extension board PS-60
If required, the capacity may be expanded by interface and I/O modules.
- IEC 61850 IED and protective device coupling
- IEC 60870-5-101 telecontrol technology, station control technology
- IEC 60870-5-103 protective device coupling
- IEC 60870-5-104 TCP/IP coupling to control centre
- DNP3 server, serial/IP
- IEC 62056-21 meter connection (IEC 1107)
- SML meter connection via Ethernet
- DSFG interface for natural gas equipment
- Modbus RTU/TCP master/slave
- MPI/3964R/RK512 field bus
- NTP/SNTP/DCF clock synchronisation
- VPN tunnel (IPsec IKEv1/IKEv2, OpenVPN*)
- Syslog-ng Server
- LDAP and RADIUS server*
* available from series5e
Possible communication paths
- dedicated lines
- switched telephone lines
- FunkLAN(Radio LAN)
- DSL and SHDSL
- 3G/4G mobile communication via GPRS, EDGE, HSPA/UMTS and LTE
Product variants of the net-line FW-5
- FW-5 l 1 Ethernet/LAN interface, 1 RS-485 field and meter link, 1 RS-232/V.24 interface, 8 digital wide-range inputs, 4 relay NO contacts, 2 measured values
- FW-5-GATE l 2 separate Ethernet/LAN interfaces, 2 RS-485 field and meter link, 1 RS-232/V.24 interface
- FW-5-GATE CL l 2 separate Ethernet/LAN interfaces, 1 RS-485 field interface, 1 RS-232/V.24 interface, 1 CL/S0 meter pulse interface
- FW-5-GATE-4G l Integrated LTE mobile radio modem, 2 separate Ethernet/LAN interfaces, 2 RS-485 field and meter link, 1 RS-232/V.24 interface
- FW-5-GATE-4G CL l Integrated LTE mobile radio modem, 2 separate Ethernet/LAN interfaces, 1 RS-485 field interface, 1 CL/S0 meter pulse interface, 1 RS-232/V.24 interface
- FW-5-GATE-450 l Integrated CDMA-450 MHz module, 2 separate Ethernet/LAN interfaces, 2 RS-485 field and meter link, 1 RS-232/V.24 interface
- FW-5-GATE-450 CL l Integrated CDMA-450 MHz module, 2 separate Ethernet/LAN interfaces, 1 RS-485 field interface, 1 CL/S0 meter pulse interface, 1 RS-232/V.24 interface